GradeMatrix is a digital tool that consistently translates qualitative assesments into a numeric grade and makes the grading criteria transparent.
How to spend less time grading while giving better feedback.
We created GradeMatrix because we knew there had to be a better way to capture an instructor's intuitive sense of a paper's strengths and weaknesses, and to communicate that information to students.
How GradeMatrix saves you time
- Keeps you on track while reading the paper. Because you set up the matrix to reflect the way you think, it ensures consistent grading while reducing the need to re-read sections.
- Generates a clear comment sheet as you read.
- Reuse your common comments. GradeMatrix allows you to store and reuse your own feedback for specific parts of a paper.
- No whining! If a student asks you to justify a grade you will be able to use the GradeMatrix score sheet to show that it was the only possible score for the paper.
- No need to “do over.” Consistent scoring from paper to paper eliminates the need to take a second look at papers you’ve already graded.
“I can honestly, literally say that this tool has changed my life!”
Why it works
- GradeMatrix helps you build a consistent grading framework. By spending a few minutes defining your expectations before you start, you will be able to quickly evaluate each paper and score it appropriately.
- GradeMatrix encourages quality feedback prompting you to consider all aspects of a paper even if one is more prominent.
- Accurately convert the strengths and weaknesses of a paper into a letter grade without assigning a numeric value. GradeMatrix eliminates a student’s performance misinterpretation by directly communicating your assessment via a qualitative rank supported by optional comments for each category.
- Help students improve through summarized feedback that is easy to scan and process. At a glance your students will know their score and the factors that went into their score. Detailed comments will show them how to improve.
GradeMatrix works with your workflow
- Work with your existing tools like blackboard. GradeMatrix was created for the sole purpose of improving the process of generating feedback on student writing. While GradeMatrix is a stand-alone tool, it has been crafted to work well with other systems such as Blackboard.
- Use it with a variety of assignment types. With GradeMatrix, you can create more than one matrix to insure you have the right tool for every project.
- Keep “track changes” comments. Digital papers can be uploaded so the student will receive a final PDF grade sheet with your annotated copy of their paper.
- Easy to integrate with paper. If you work with hard copy papers, write margin notes and hand back physical papers, you can use GradeMatrix to generate a clear comment form that you can print out and attach to the hard copy paper.
- Easy-to-retrieve data. Download individual grade sheet PDFs, ZIP archives, or copy and paste directly into your course management software. Past assignments are available to review, revisit and revise.
- Analyze class performance. Look at summary data for each category and see where your students excel and where they need to focus.
“Grade Matrix helped me cut my grading time in half while still giving students valuable feedback.”
GradeMatrix is currently in beta, which means that we need people to use it. We think it's a great application, but we want your feedback on how it works for you as well as your ideas for improvement..
If that sounds like a good deal to you, drop your email in the box below and we'll contact you with an invitation to the beta.